Sacred Tree Meditation
The Sacred Tree Meditation is a great daily practice or a beautiful way to begin any ritual. The intention of the meditation is to cultivate a connection to Spirit (whatever that means to you), and to use that connection to guide you in everything you do. For partnered ritual, you will begin with both giver and receiver connecting individually to the divine polarities (masculine and feminine), then begin to breathe and connect your energy bodies to each other. The following sample guideline will get you started.
Sacred Tree Audio Meditation
Sign up for our newsletter on the right sidebar to get the complete audio meditation for free, or view the meditation as a youtube video:
- Begin by sitting comfortably in easy pose, zen pose or any way that is natural for you and that allows your spine to be straight. Take a deep breath, filling your belly with air and allowing your lungs to touch the east and west edges of your rib cage.
- Continue breathing deeply and focus on letting go of any stress or negativity from the day and letting in nurturing energy. On an inhalation, feel your perineum, the space between your genitals and your anus, "open" up as if it were growing roots.
- On an exhalation imagine sending your roots directly into the earth–through the floor, through the soil, deep into the earth, all the way to the magnetic core of the Earth, the very heart of the divine feminine.
- Inhale and breath the earth’s unconditional love up through your body, clearing away blocks and negative emotions as you go. Exhale to release anger, fear, pain, and other negative emotions. and feel Mother Earth taking these emotions and transmuting them it into healing nutrients for the planet.
- Now take your awareness to the top of your head, and with your next inhalation, feel the top of your head, your crown chakra, opening up like a flower. Exhale, and imagine you are growing branches from the top of your head into the sun or stars. As you connect to this heavenly fire, feel your connection to the Sky Father. Breathe out to release distracting thoughts out through your branches and imagine them burning up in solar or star fire. Breathe in and imagine divine masculine warmth, strength, and light coming down into your head.
- Become a great tree with leaves and branches connecting all the way to the sun or stars, and roots all the way down deep into the earth. Continue the inhalations and exhalations until your roots and branches are strongly connected to the earth and sky.
- On your next inhalation, bring up earth mother energy and bring down sky father energy simultaneously. Allow the energies to mix and mingle inside your heart. After a few breaths, move that energy down through your arms and hands. Feel the warm tingling and relish the mixture of mother and father energy in your body.
- If you are doing this meditation in partnership, at this point shift your focus to connecting energetically with your partner. Have the active partner lead this exercise by intertwining his/her roots and branches with the receptive partner. Take deep, cleansing breaths and feel your energy connection with your partner, noticing how you feel pulled toward each other, like two magnets.
Now you are ready to move into whatever physical connection is comfortable for both of you. Communicate clearly with each other about your boundaries and your comfort zones as you move into sacred sexual and energetic connection.